I have worked on a variety of technical writing and web projects in the last decade. Most have been extremely large with thousands of pages. For the official version of my professional life, see my résumé.
Technical writing, editing, & training—User manuals, procedures, specifications, style guides, and reference materials are generally a creative challenge because of the stylistic and content constraints demanded by their audiences. A few examples of my favorite projects include a high-speed patrol boat for the Swedish Navy, a surveillance system for law enforcement, and one of the first intranet websites at AlliedSignal for the Military/Helicopter enterprise.
Web content & design
Over the last five years, I have produced a large volume of original content for several online magazines, as well as doing page layout, navigation, and creating a functional, aesthetic design framework.
- Demesne—Home improvement, maintenance, and gardening are the primary topics for an audience of new and novice homeowners.
- Antique Home—Almost a thousand pages of house plans and information on old homes from 1900 to 1960.
- Arts & Crafts Society—The Arts & Crafts Society was originally founded in 1997 by Carol Kamm of Michigan and purchased by Canright in 2008. The structure remained intact for SEO reasons, but was otherwise completely redesigned.
In addition to the "magazine" sites, I wrote, edited, and managed several intranet sites for large corporations including Medscape (which is now defunct), AlliedSignal (aka Honeywell), and Nike.
No discussion of web content and design is complete without covering search engine optimization, accessibility, and usability. Though not a bona fide expert in all of them ... there are people out there who are genuine authorities ... I do claim a reasonable expertise in these areas and can create sites and content that follow the rules and guidelines that govern these important areas.
A note on design: I like clean. I like simple. A clean, elegant digital universe appeals to me. Even so, I design to accommodate my audience. It's always about the information; creating a vehicle to present the information is my primary consideration.
I also work on several personal projects in my spare time including the child of Antique Home.
Marketing communications—Product presentations, proposals, and press releases rely on teamwork and coordination to get the right message out to the right decision makers at the right time. Though not my primary focus, it's hard not to get drafted when timelines are short and everyone on the team is working to win the project.
- Document design and publishing
- Graphic and logo design
- Web design
- Content development: Search-engine optimized content and articles for the web, research and original writing, multi-level editing
- Technical documentation: Corporate intranets, procedures, style guides, manuals, quick reference guides, reference material
- Corporate communications: Web sites and intranets, product proposals, presentations, brochures, annual reports, and logo design
- Training materials
See my résumé for more detail.